It dates back to 1886 when the Swiss Army decided to equip every soldier with a regulation single-blade folding knife. In 1889, a new rifle was introduced. To disassemble the rifle, a screwdriver was needed. So a decision was made to create a multi-purpose tool incorporating a knife, screwdriver, reamer and can-opener – The Swiss Army Knife. At that time, the cutlery industry in Switzerland was well established but incapable of mass production. So the knives were made in Solingen, Germany. However, a Swiss cutler soon established a knife manufacturing company, today Victorinox, and began to make army knives.
Shortly after in 1893 at Courtetelle in the Delémont valley, the second industrial cutlery manufacturer of Switzerland, Paul Boechat & Cie – and the future Wenger – received a contract from the Swiss Army to produce knives. In 1895, a group of entrepreneurs from Delémont bought Boechat and built a new plant at Courtetelle. About two years later, Theodore Wenger was hired to be its General Manager. The son of a pastor, Theodore Wenger was a minister who had served in the USA. He decided this calling was not for him and his Swiss wife was homesick, so he returned to Switzerland. There he learned the world of business in his father-in-law’s cloth trade. After a few years, he applied for a job at Courtetelle. One of Wenger’s first acts was to acquire a manufacturer of spoons and forks, which he moved to a rented factory in Delémont. Then in 1900, he built a new 18,000 square foot facility there. Both the utensil operations and the Courtetelle cutlery production were incorporated into the new plant now called Fabrique Suisse de Courtetelle at Services. A few years later, Wenger acquired Fabrique Suisse, renamed it Wenger et Cie. and shepherded its growth for the next forty years.
The company from which Wenger emerged had been a supplier to the Swiss Army as early as 1893, and its sister-company, Victorinox, since 1890. Wenger is in the French-speaking Jura region and its competitor is in the German-speaking canton of Schwyz. To avoid friction between the two cantons, the Swiss Government decided in 1908 to use each supplier for half of its requirements. So Victorinox can lay claim to being the “original”, Wenger can state its Swiss Army Knives are “genuine”. In any case, both have been manufacturing Swiss Army Knives for over 100 years and both must meet identical specifications defined by the Swiss Army.
M. Nieto is loctated in Albacete, Spain which is about 120 KM South East of Madrid. Albecte is a town with a history of cutlery manufacture. Although Toledo is known for it's swords and knives Albacete is now the current hub of knife manufacturers.
M. Nieto uses a combination of cutting edge modern technology with quality hand craftmenship. One innovation is their use of Thermic treatment applied to their blades to achive a hardness of 58-60 HRC.
Also, Nieto does not skimp with their choice of blade steel. They use 440c stainless which is a superior material prefered by many custom knife makers.
Condor Tool & Knives
Condor Tool and Knife traces its proud history back to 1787, the year Gebr. Weyersberg Company was founded in Solingen, Germany. The quality of the swords, military knives, agricultural tools and household cutlery that they manufactured made Solingen the cutlery capital of the world. Over the generations, the world´s largest manufacturer of swords and knives found it necessary to expand its operations to other countries to better serve its customers.
In 1963 the company built a new plant in Santa Ana, El Salvador and filled it with state of the art German equipment. Some of the original local employees who were sent back to Solingen for extensive training forty-two years ago are still working in the factory today turning out the finest quality machetes, shovels and other hand tools.
Condor Tool & Knife´s parent company, Imacasa, www.imacasa.com, was formed in the 1980´s when the company decided to sell the Central and South America operations to local investors. Today, they are one of the largest machete manufacturers in the world operating 24/7 to fill and increasing worldwide demand for its products.
In 2004 decided to develop a first quality line of knives and tools for the North American and European outdoor markets. Condor Tool & Knife was born.
April 29, 1897
In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, a group of 38 men form a Limited Partnership, known as Tidioute Cutlery Company, to manufacture and sell cutlery.
The formation is now widely considered to be the beginnings of KA-BAR Knives, Inc.
Mr. Wallace R. Brown purchases the assets of the Tidioute Cutlery Company, and applies to the Governor of Pennsylvania to form a corporation,
the Union Razor Company (later changed to Union Cutlery Company in 1909), for the purpose of manufacturing and selling cutlery
A new Union Cutlery Company is registered in Olean, New York, creating two Union Cutlery Company incorporations: the original in Tidioute, Pennsylvania and the new one in Olean, New York. Once the Olean facility is operating successfully, the Tidioute, Pennsylvania plant is closed down.
During this period, trademarks like OLCUT, KEENWELL, and KA-BAR are adopted and embellished on the knives.
Soon after the start of World War II, the Union Cutlery Company submits a KA-BAR branded knife to the U.S. Marine Corps for issue to fighting personnel.
The Marine Corps accepts a reworked design of the submitted knife and begins using it as their standard issue fighting/utility knife.
Due to the role of the KA-BAR branded USMC knife in the War, the directors of the company decide to change the corporate name to KA-BAR Cutlery, Inc.
KA-BAR is sold by the Brown family and subsequently goes through a series of ownership changes ultimately being sold in 1966 to Cole National Corporation in Cleveland, Ohio.
The KA-BAR product line and assets are sold to Alcas Corporation of Olean, New York.
KA-BAR Knives, Inc. dramatically enhances its national product distribution with the addition of five manufacturing representative firms whose territory spans the entire United States.
KA-BAR celebrates its 100th year in the knife-making business.
KA-BAR moves to its current location, 200 Homer Street, Olean, NY.
Kizlyar Supreme - is a new name in the world knife arena. The brand is backed by knowledge and work of a multinational team of talented designers and engineers from Russia, Germany, Australia and Japan.
Although work on the brand's concepts and models started in 2009, Kizlyar Supreme was only launched in December 2011 almost simultaneously in three countries including Australia, Germany and Russia. It took our team two years to design, make prototypes, perform meticulous testing and gradually improve each knife design. Sharing our experience and knowledge, with a common goal in mind, we continually refined and tried to make them perfect and finally, we are pleased to present our knives to the public.
From the very beginning, Kizlyar Supreme became one of the leading brands in the Russian knife market, offering great quality knives with finest materials at an affordable price level. Russian knife market is quite complicated due to its intricate knife laws, which makes almost every great design of knives illegal for purchase unless the buyer has a firearms license. More information here